Friday 15 March 2013

ECG of the Week - 18th March 2013

For those of you at SMACC 2013 (Twitter #SMACC2013) this one will be familiar.

These ECGs are from a 58yr old male seen in a rural setting, approximately ~2500 km from the nearest tertiary centre.

He c/o intermittent atypical chest pain for several weeks without any cardiac risk factors.
At the clinic serial ECGs were performed and are below.
  • What do you think of the ECGs ?
  • What advice would you give assuming you were the clinician at the tertiary receiving hospital who was contacted regarding this case ?



First ECG
Click to enlarge
Second ECG
Click to enlarge

5 comments:

  1. Challenge your assumptions.

    Axis changes too much between the two for me not to consider a technical cause of the change.

    Once ruled out, you can consider an evolving lateral wall MI as the cause of the ST/T-wave changes in the inferior leads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be willing to bet that the first (top) ECG was performed with all of the electrodes on the torso in a Modified Mason-Likar placement. The bottom ECG was probably performed with standard placement (i.e., arm and leg electrodes actually on the extremities).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jason,

    I've not seen a 180 degree change in the axis before with Mason-Likar vs Limb Leads, usually no more than 15-30 degrees.

    Have you seen that before without a lead swap of sorts?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi guys,

    As always thank you for your comments, I hope you enjoy the blog.

    This is an interesting series of ECGs. Can I suggest looking specifically at leads aVL & aVF between the two ECGs and consider the net effect on leads I, II, III.

    Thanks,

    John Larkin

    ReplyDelete
  5. John,

    That was what I was alluding to with my "technical change" comment, as I believe the difference in the two ECG's to be attributable to electrode misplacement (LA-LL swap) rather than a primary change due to ACS.

    LA<->LL: I->II, II->I, III->-III, aVR, aVL->aVF, aVF->aVL.

    Thank you for the great cases!

    ReplyDelete